Technology & The Arts
Full time social worker provides services in the following ways:
- Coordinates the referral and intake process with parents and their home school districts, guiding them through the admission process
- Acts as the liaison to the student's school district and assists in reporting progress and future planning for the student's educational goals
- Develops behavior plans for students who require intervention and assists staff with implementation
- Develops and coordinates a student's transitional goals and functions as a pivotal link from the education system and to adult service options.
- Informs parents of community, state or federal assistance programs for which the students or adults may be eligible
- Coordinates communication between New Horizon Center staff and outside professionals and agencies.
Life Skills Program
The purpose of the life skills program is to have the students learn ordinary life skills activities, such as setting a table or folding laundry. The students will be able to develop daily life skills and independence in a structured environment.
Health & Wellness
New Horizon Center employs two full time nurses to administer medications and evaluate emergency situations.
Vision Services are implemented on a consultant basis for blind and visually impaired students as developed in their Individual Educational Plan. Materials and equipment are utilized from the Illinois Instructional Material Center. The Illinois School of Optometry conducts annual vision evaluations for students.